Friday, March 17, 2006

Hello, it's me

Hi everyone. We've been busy in Bakersfield making preparations for the arrival of Miss Jillian Grace, who is expected in about 4 weeks. Last Saturday, Jenny was given a nice baby shower by the cousins from Greg's side of the family. They live at the coast so they all came over and had the shower at our favorite Chinese restaurant. This is a restaurant that we have been going to for 25 years. The owner has seen my kids grow up, and we've gone there for many special occasions, as well as everyday ones. The restaurant did a wonderful job making it all very fun and festive, and the food was extra delicious.

Jenny & Chris have attended their childbirth class, and I went with Jenny to the breastfeeding class, because Chris was teaching that night. Yeah, I know. Breastfeeding class? Should come naturally, and usually does. But I can't believe even this many years after I had my kids, there still isn't great support for nursing mothers so it's good they have a way of getting the info out there and making the support available.

We're also looking forward to Joshua & Whitney's wedding in June. The rehearsal dinner is the privilege of the groom's family. I'm sure you all have heard of Buck Owens. Well, he lives here in Bakersfield and has a restaurant called The Crystal Palce, which I've heard is a lot of fun. Greg & I have never been, but Joshua & Whitney have and they thought they'd like that for the rehearsal dinner. Since the wedding is on Friday, the rehearsal will be Thursday night, there will be a local country band and dancing...even line dancing. This will be a totally new experience for me, and I know it will be for those in the wedding party coming from out of town. Anyone have a pair of cowboy boots I can borrow? ;-) I did finally find a dress for the wedding. Now we can proceed. heehee

My birthday is in 11 days. I will be 49. Joshua keeps telling me I'm "pretty much 50". He thinks that's getting under my skin, but it really doesn't matter to me. Greg was just sure somewhere along the way I'd lose enthusiasm for my birthday. Hasn't happened yet.

Did I mention we eliminated the assistant position at my office so I no longer have to work with the worst assistant I've ever had? I'm doing both jobs myself now, which I've done before, and truthfully it's less stressful than it was having her to deal with. I knew it was unpleasant to work with her, but I didn't realize how uncomfortable I was until after she was gone. Phew. Hopefully soon we will re-evaluate staffing and maybe hire someone else.

11 comments:

Scott said...

Melanie, sooo you're going to be forty-nine, eh? Ah, we know what you are doing, you're telling people that you're going to be older than you actually are so they'll think you look fabulous for your age (ya can't fool us!).

Melanie said...

Okay Scott. I've read that 3 times. Can't decide if it's supposed to be complimentary or what...

Forgot to mention we have a new middle eastern restaurant here that has amazing food. It reminds me of the food some Lebanese friends of my mother used to make. This one is run by Jordanians. Great lamb kabobs, falafel about the best I've had, as is the humus. Greg and Jenny have both had the shawerma, and said it was very tasty. The baklava looks like the kind I love but I don't dare. Still need to work my way around the menu. Looking forward to trying the tabouleh and the Greek salad. Also the stuffed grape leaves. The place is small, nicely decorated and has middle eastern music playing. I love this stuff.

Scott said...

Well, Melanie, I've decided to tell people that I'm, like, sixty five (I'm 56), so they will think that I look just great for my age.

Melanie said...

Yeah I get that part. But are you telling me I need to tell people I'm older than I am so they think I look great for my age?

Melanie said...

Penny, You do look great!

Scott said...

Melanie, I'm saying that you can't possibly be turning 49, You're just telling us that because you think you only look your actual age, like, 39.

Melanie said...

oooooh that's different. never mind. (best $mily Latella voice) and thanks :-)

Melanie said...

how weird. that's supposed to say Emily Latella.

Scott said...

Ok, showing my ignorance. Who is Emily Latella?

Melanie said...

Character done by Gilda Radner on Saturday Night Live about 30 years ago. Did you ever see that? I was a big fan of Gilda Radner. I loved her characters. Chevy Chase used to do the Weekend Update (news) skit and she did this character of an old lady doing a viewer editorial where she would go off quite passionately about something that she had wrong. Like violins on tv being good for children, she didn't understand what all the fuss was about. He'd interrupt her and set her straight. (That's violence not violins.) She'd say "oh that's different, never mind".

Scott said...

OH, yeh, Melanie, I remember Gilda on Sat. Night Live, but forgot the character's name. Oh, so I guess you can be 49.