Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Headstone for Sam's father Joseph Jacob

Joseph Jacob Rattet (Sam's father) went to Chicago in 1918 to lecture and visit his mother. While there he suffered a heart attack and died at the age of 42 (I think) leaving 8 children, the youngest being Sylvia at age almost 1 and Sam 3rd from the oldest. He was unable to be returned to Boston because the famous flu epidemic was occuring and there was a quarantine in place at the time because of the flu. Elaine Baskin visited his grave site when she was in Chicago last month and says that he was buried in a pauper's grave, a month after his death. That was probably because his mother didn't know where to bury him - (send him home to Boston or leave him in Chicago) and when she learned that it was not possible to send him home to Boston because of the quarantine she probably didn't have enough money to bury him AND buy him a head stone.

QUESTION: does anyone want to chip in to buy him a headstone????

4 comments:

Scott said...

Gail, I was in Chicago and went (quite the trek on a 95 degree day) to visit Great-Grandad Joseph's grave. I followed the directions that Elaine gave me, but still never knew which patch of grass might be Joseph's. I just sorta communed with the whole area. Unfortunately, it was on a Saturday, so I couldn't ask at the office, either (actually I had to sneak in through some side gate like a thief). It would have been a "blessing" had a headstone or plaque been there. Gosh, he deserves one after begetting such a clan as this, no?
So, yes, I would be willing to chip in. The cemetery office could probably point us in the right direction. Surely we would need something local rather than ship (I understand that granite can be pretty heavy).

Scott said...

Ok, so Joseph's mother, Hoda Ella, was living near Chicago and he went to visit? She's buried in Massachusetts. Why was she in Illinois?

Anonymous said...

I agree he needs a headstone. I don't know the name of the cemetery - do you know it? or we can get in touch with Elaine. Anyway, I do not know why his mother was living in chicago at the time since, you're correct, she is buried in Massachusetts.

Question regarding the blog: Is there anyway to list (on the main page) whether comments have been made to a post without going into the original post?

Going away today to Vermont for the month. If you want to reach me you can at gailrk@adephia.net. Otherwise, I'll check in when I return home.

Scott said...

Gail,

Do you mean without scrolling down to the original post? Under the original post, still on the main page, there should be the number of comments. When I scroll to this post on the main page, directly under it says 3 comments. If you mean list at top of main page without scrolling, don't think so.

Enjoy your stay in Vermont.