
Last weekend Greg and I took off for the Eastern Sierras. Greg has always told me how beautiful it is over there but I had never been. It's only about 2.5 hours to the southern end of the Owens Valley, on the other side of the mountains that surround the valley we live in. He was right, it's gorgeous. We stayed in a tiny town called Independence, which is about 15 miles north of Lone Pine, where you can see Mt. Whitney. I'm posting a picture of me with Mt. Whitney in the background. If you didn't already know, Mt. Whitney is the highest peak in the 48 contiguous states. Thing is, there are many mountains in that area nearly as high and we actually had to ask the guy in the restaurant where we had lunch which one is Mt. Whitney. It is the one in the middle with the jaggedy things at the top which are called spires. The view of all these mountains is really spectacular.
Greg was anxious to "get his line wet" so we went fishing on Saturday morning and he caught his limit. Since we weren't camping this time, he threw them all back. Made me very nostalgic for the times we went camping and cooked the trout over an open fire. Yum yum. Do I fish? No, but I love to sit with him and read or work a crossword puzzle.
Saturday afternoon we took off north from there and toured through the towns of Big Pine and Bishop. As we went farther north, we were in higher elevations and the scenery was amazing. We stopped in Mammoth Lakes, where there is still snow in and people are still snowboarding and skiing. We had a late lunch there and then continued on to June Lake and drove what is called the June Lake Loop, again high in snow topped mountains with magnificent views. The sun was shining but the air was cool, low 60s. We definitely want to go back to that area and spend some time, fishing and enjoying the views.Yesterday, Jenny, Jillian and I attended the bridal shower for my future daughter-in-law, the lovely Whitney. It was a very nice party and Whitney received a lot of nice gifts. Those photos were taken with a film camera so you'll have to wait for them to be developed.
Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms.
This is a very special one for all of us. Jenny's first as a Mother, and my first as a Bubbie. Jillian is an angel baby. Last night we went out for a pre-Mother's Day dinner at a Mexican restaurant which is one of my favorites... for the food. The service is spotty at best but we go there with that in mind and enjoy the great food. They make their tortillas fresh and hot to order, and by themselves are worth the price of admission. I had chile verde which I think is one of their best dishes.Today Joshua and Whitney and Greg's mom will join us and we will BBQ. I'm looking forward to a fun day. The weather has turned quite warm, in the low 90s, which is about 10 degrees above normal for this time of year. Greg actually took a dip in the pool yesterday. Another hot day and I'll be in it myself!
Love to all of you...
No comments:
Post a Comment