Saturday, August 19, 2006

Life's a beach.

It's hard to trumpet life's good things so soon after such a loss, but Melanie has thrown down the gauntlet,...

Stacy and I are celebrating our 6th anniversary in Rockport, MA, on our annual holiday with her family. Unfortunately, I didn't bring the correct cable to plug in my camera, so you all will have to hold your breaths waiting for photos next week.

Essentially, this is a four day food fest with barely time for a break to stroll a beach, read a book, and take a nap.We're staying at the same B&B, The Linden Tree, as usual. A short walk from the water. The weather has been splendid.

The three men, myself, Stacy's dad, Orlando, and her brother, Christian (missing is Stacy's youngest brother, Doug, who is in Germany or Sudan giving academic talks, and Ben who is home probably throwing a four day party), are determining which restaurant has the best chowder ("chowda" for the initiated).

The winner so far is The Causeway, a local Italian oriented fish house. Recommended by the locals, a small jam packed eatery with energetic service and huge plates of fish. The chowder was not thickened with cornstarch, full of fish, and just the right film of butter on the surface. Outstanding.

Outside of the beaches and the restaurants, Rockport is a tourist trap with more gift and trinket shops than anywhere, but nearby Gloucester is a real town where actual people live and work. Stacy and I are heading there today (we had our beach fill with a two hour stint yesterday).

What are you eating?

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Sounds like a great time, Scott. I love good chowda. Greg & I are headed for San Diego in a couple of weeks. He's being sent for a work-related conference, and I get to tag along. I love San Diego; it's one of my favorite places. And we get to stay at a very nice hotel. I'm looking forward to it.